A colleague and I recently developed this simple and effective technique for handling intense levels of anxiety. This mental exercise focuses on addressing some of the main causes of panic and intense anxiety i.e. avoidance and control (a lack of it)....
- anxiety can often come hand in hand with not feeling in control
- anxiety also starts to escalate when we try to avoid experiencing it
So, I invite you to try this one....
1) when you start to feel some stirrings of anxiety/panic/fear etc ask you self the following question
"right now, what level from 1-10 am I willing to experience the feeling of anxiety/unsafe/fearful? etc"
2) name the number "Ok I am willing to experience 2/10"
3) Then allow youself to feel the 2/10 and just notice obectively what it is like for you.
4) Then have a moment to reflect and see what happens.
The practice of allowing yourself to experience of anxiety is hugely beneficial in reducing anxiety. Equally important is further increasing that your sense of control by choosing the number you are willing to experience right in the moment.
Depending how comfortable your outside environment is for you it is possible to safely experience higher and higher levels of anxiety which can increase your capacity to be ok with anxiety. Overtime it becomes less and less of a problem in your life.
This exercises as home combined with acupuncture treatments is a powerful way to overcome many anxiety based conditions.
Check this page for more information on Acupuncture for Anxiety in Brisbane